TUTORIAL: Japanese Ninja Village Gaming Table
When my Ninja All Stars game arrived, I knew I had to make a Japanese themed display board for it. Since I knew I wouldn't have a lot of time, I decided to go with Plastcraft Games new Colored line of Fukei buildings. These buildings are printed on foam and would save me a lot of time painting. The board was a repurposed snow table. Total time = 2 evenings.
I started off with this old snow board I made for taking pictures. It's a simple 2x2 piece of MDF wood. The texture was made from a mix of sand, pva glue, water, and plaster. I had this made in advance but it would only take you an hour or so to make this plus overnight drying time.
Since my table already had multiple coats of paint, I started painting it. If it hadn't I would have added a few layers of primer to really seal the texture on the table and prevent chipping. The first color I used was a dark brown from Rustoleum. I applied this in patches with some places more concentrated than others. To get realistic dirt tones, you need to play around with the transparencies of the different colors.
Next I used the airbrush to apply Vallejo Surface Primer Israeli Sand also in pataches. I blended this color in with the darker brown leaving the dark brown showing through in many places.
Finally. I used Minitaire Ancient Bone - again applying this color in patches over the others.
Next to bring out the highlight, I drybrushed the board with Citadel Tyrant Skull.
Before I added the grass, I wanted to get rough idea of where my buildings would be. Sincemy actual buildings had not arrived, I made cutouts based on the measurements from Plastcraft Game's website. The road was airbrushed in with Minitaire Ancient Bone and highlighted with ComArt white.
Next, I applied two different shades of static grass in patches. When applying static grass, get two different blends to add variety.
Then I applied clump foliage and tufts.
Finally, I used a layer of Scenic Cement over all of the plants to seal them in place. I let this dry overnight.
The next step was to put together my buildings. Normally I am not a fan of printed terrain, but Plastcraft's stuff is great. There is a lot of texture (physical and print) on the model so from a distance, you can't even tell that it's pre-printed. The models are relatively easy to assemble. It took me 3 hours to get all of my buildings done for this board.
The only drawback to this terrain is that the edges where the piece is punched from the sheet is not colored. I used the airbrush to add color to the exposed areas.
I also highlighted the paper card roofs with a dark grey.
Here is an example of a window that I airbrushed with a bone color to avoid the glaring white edges.
I also bought two sets of the resin scenery pieces from Plastcraft Games. The resin on this wasn't super high quality - there were some airbubbles and missing detail. This wasn't really an issue for me since these were just scenic elements and I only paid about $10 for both packs. These I painted pretty simply. Basecoat, shadow, and highlight with the airbrush followed by the details being picked out with a brush, then a wash, and finally a drybrush to highlight. Total paint time about an hour.
Here is everything laid out on the board. The trees were borrowed from my other game table and the lantern pieces were done in the previous tutorial.
Clan Ika takes over the dojo!
The fire clan in the courtyard.
Street level view.
Another view of the dojo. I really like those resin pieces, they really make the table come to life.
I'm hoping to do a professional photoshoot with everything tomorrow if clear bases arrive for my ninja.